Saturday, April 13, 2013

Car Free Day!

Last week we decided to explore a new public park/garden/space in Beirut.
I've heard a lot about the Jesuites Garden and that a small public library has opened adjacent to it to serve the neighborhood, and I was so happy and excited to go there...
and Bang, 
total disappointment! 
we hit it Sunday morning, it was full of trash, unpleasant, not one single working slide, swings are all twisted or broken, unclean sand floor, awful bathrooms...
I was sitting there, full of rage, how much would be the cost of a new swing, 
or to clean up this mess...
how much public money is spend on useless projects, while this sad garden is neglected in such a horrible way!

I asked Jamil to leave the place, and we head to Achrafieh... Jamil's sister informed us about an event there.. I knew nothing what it was about, or if it is suitable for two energetic kids, but I knew we should go there to support her work.
She's handling a small fresh orange juice business, with her son, and I am so proud of her and of her will and all I was thinking about is that I should go, buy that fresh orange juice and then we'll manage to find out some activity to continue the day in a better way...

It turned out it was a car free street day in Mar Mechael, a famous street in that area... the day aimed at spreading environmental awareness through a series of activities and events... some really extraordinary events!!!

upon our arrival, kids were excited to hear loud music and some funny characters welcomed us...

then the first kiosk we hit was a dream comes true!
kids were encouraged to decorate planting pots using colors...
It doesn't stop here...

kids who completed their masterpiece are also invited to...
plant!

yes, Ghadi had to choose four plants, 
then a very nice guy helped him pick it out of the smaller pot,
and then they placed them inside the decorated one
later they added sand
and here we are!
these pots will decorate the stairs famous in that area of Beirut!
it was HILARIOUS! and Ghadi was so happy! 
and here's the final product!
even Sary participated and completed decorating an abandoned pot...

this alone could have made our day... but wait, there's more!
 too bad I didn't bring my camera and my phone cam was a total fail, but at least I could capture some of
the joy... but not the cheerful music and the excitement of the kids!

  
Street artists
 offering Ghadi some material to so a mini painting too!
 Origami for cause! 
Energy consuming play area (thank thank you organizers!!!)
clowns, acrobats...
 I didn't bring my camera that day, and my phone cam was such a fail!
 
 Face painting!
coloring  
 and then Ghadi participated in several games and won!
Twice!

and finally the main reason why we went there in the first place, 
Orange Juice for cause, freshly squeezed by volunteers,
including J.'s youngest nephew!





No comments:

Post a Comment