Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Library Room

When I used to read Agatha Christy’s books, I’ve always stood still when it comes to library rooms!

In my imagination, THE library room was a spacious room; all walls are full of shelved books, including a desk, a ladder, and surely the comfortable leather fauteuil with a lamp by the side.

The scene would be perfect with a sunny window, but for no specific reason, it used to be a somber space  whenever I imagined it.
Then through my life I have seen many examples in the movies, and in real life.
But none of them was similar to MY dream Library Room.

I have been collecting books since I was a little girl.

I have also inherited a huge collection from my father, a journalist who used to travel and work abroad, and with whom I shared the love of my life: books.

At my parents’ house, we had an attic, full of books (probably my mother was annoyed by the never-ending stream of books, so a few found their way to that space above the bathroom).

So one of my favorite memories from my childhood, is when my brother lifts me up to the attic, that dark room smelling like humidity.
Sitting, searching for children books that may interest me.

There was huge collection of “bande dessinée”: Lucky Luke, Tintin…in addition to the series of mystery books for children, something similar to “Le club des cinq” but it was called: the 5/3/or the 4 adventurers, by Egyptian writer “mahmoud salem
There were tens of them and it was my never ending treasure

When the civil war started and we had to move out to a safer district, I used to wait for the monthly visit to our house in Ras el Nabeh, to jump up to the attic, grab enough books, which I could hold in one hand (cuz the other hand would be holding my mom’s or brother’s while crossing the dangerous roads at those days…

Where have I been?

I was talking about libraries.

So it is indeed a childhood dream to have my own library room.

Would it be true someday?

Now at my tiny apartment I could fit a small library (2m high x1m width) which was full in no time, and then the rest of my books are everywhere, in my bedroom, living room,Ghadi’s bedroom, even you may find some at the toilet… 
and those books having less emotional values are still waiting at my parents’ house…

This should be solved cuz someday (and I have the feeling this day is really coming soon) the first set of books will find their way to MY attic by J. who started to complain about the lack of space in OUR bedroom!

Would ghadi be climbing the attic someday searching for some interesting children books?
*update:
Ghadi sitting in his favorite corner
reading
and reading
this makes my heart go soooooo wide!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jinan,

    I really love the idea and motive behind your blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You!
    I think inspiring blogs like yours make our world a better place...

    ReplyDelete