Monday, January 16, 2012

Topping the list of embarrassing moments offered by my boy!

If I would have a list of the top embarrassing moments my boy has been granting me for four years now, taking aside stories like the usual whining at toy markets, or running and jumping at a book exhibition (three years ago), or even singing children songs loud at a Guggenheim art exhibition (two years ago), all of this would seem normal compared to this one, which would definitely top the list!

This Saturday we were invited to our neighbor's Birthday,
he is turning four
his classmates were invited
and among them a very handsome young boy
who has extremely long eyelashes!
he caught my eyes, I smiled at him then turned towards Ghadi...
he was dancing but then suddenly it was quite, music stopped (what a coincidence!) and Ghadi was standing there, in the middle of the space, waiting for the music to resume his dance,
and...yes,
starring at the boy....
I was between calling him and letting him think and analyse by himself when he suddenly searched for me with his eyes, then yelled at me: "hey mom, look at this!" pointing at the boy...
OMG, that was embarrassing... I didn't have time to think, the boys's moms eyes were slowly turning at me, ( I think everybody were looking at me at that moment)
I was screaming from inside to the mom to help
but this help never came and the following seconds of silence were like heavy rock falling down at me from a high top....
just before the rock hit me, I smiled at Ghadi, and at all the crowd, and I took him gently by his shoulder saying loudly that yes my dear he has such special eyes... and while I was trying to walk away, Ghadi stopped, yelling at me: "Why???"
I looked puzzled at him, my hands pressing his shoulder trying to force him to walk but he just stood there still, asking why!
I said that it is not polite to yell like this... so he approached my head, put his mouth over my ear and whispered: "Why"?
still all ears directed towards me now, I smiled again, saying that it is normal in life that people are not similar
I reminded him that his skin color isn't the same as his nanny's (who is from Africa)...
and that some people have blue eyes while others don't...
then at this point it was crucial I distract him from the whole subject, thinking firmly to myself that I should talk to him later about many issues : manners, talking loudly in a crowd, and above all, explaining to him that pointing at people is NOT allowed under any circumstances!
I think now that I shouldn't have waited for this moment so I explain all this...
I should have foreseen such situations and I should start talking to him about many aspects in life, that would prevent such situations!

Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment