Friday, September 24, 2010

The dialogue u should never have with a 3 years old!

**Ghadi in the sitting room, holding his cup upside down, waiting impatiently for my reaction...   **
- Behave like a good boy and stop spilling water from your cup on the floor
 I’m a naughty boy… look (spilling more water!)
- Are you? Fine, so today you will be punished no more TV, or Jello, and you will stay in your room
- But I’m a good boy!!! (tears beginning to appear, whining tone, and holding the cup well)…
- (sigh) ok, now you admit you are such a good boy, it is ok… I will see if dad will let you watch TV…
- (in a low voice) I’m a nauuuughty boy…..
 (sigh…pretending not to hear)
- Mommy, look… I’m a nauuughty boy, I’m spilling water!!!! (with a spark in the eyes, and a wide smile!!!)
- (breathing deeply)… that was your last chance…now u will have time out

**time out** sitting on the chair, crying, yelling, hitting his hands, then screaming… then I hear something like: I won’t do naughty things again (ma ra7 3azzib!!!)

I go and ask him to repeat what he said cuz I couldn’t ge it through the flood of tears…
He looks at me
Then he says:   I’m naughty boy!

I call for jamil to handle the situation before i get a break down...

same scene, repeated...
result: two frustrated parents, spoiled Sunday morning, and one angry 3 years old!

(2 weeks later):
 - Look mommy, I’m naughty boy (I’m spitting on the floor, licking my hand,drawing on the table, etc…)
- Noooo, I’m sure you are Not like that so stop doing this
- No no, I’m naughty, I should be punished
- I said I know you are my lovely boy, so STOP doing this and act like you should, I will not punish you
- Didn’t you hear me? I said I’m doing bad stuff (3am 3azzib)
 It’s ok, now I will play with you because you are so nice, go get your cars
- Really? We will play together?
 Sure… **hug**  you know how much I love you???

      no answer, he runs to get his cars, and get involved in some other play at his room....!
           Much better ending
           Everyone’s happy!!

1 comment:

  1. unbelievable plot!...very funny for the non-protagonists but definitely a break-down inducer for any parent!

    Glad you could find such a clever way to deal with the situation! ;)

    ReplyDelete